We desire to bring sunshine to Africa....opportunities to allow people to realize their destinies and be released from oppression. We are starting in Mozambique with The Sunshine Nut Company. The majority of proceeds from this company will go to the poorest of farming communities and the neediest of children. Mozambique is ranked among the poorest in economic status but we believe they are among the richest in spirit. Join us in our adventure....

Friday, March 29, 2024

Divine Connections

We all love stories with happy endings. I have one to share with you today. As with so many stories, it is about triumph that overcame tragedy and about two people who connected despite all the odds being against them. 

Madalena and her siblings were the first children we ever brought home to our Sunshine Homes Project. Cecilia, 12, Madalena, 5, and Antonio, 3, lost both of their parents at such a young age. It is because of them that the Sunshine Homes Project ever began. When we heard about them, we felt they deserved to grow up together as a family, in a home, with a mother to care for them and love them best of all. Thus, the Sunshine Homes Project was birthed in 2014 when we paired them with Zelda and settled them into their home in Matola Santos. 


Oh how these children loved Zelda and thrived in her care. Madalena and Antonio loved her so much that they took turns sleeping in her room every night. I would always chuckle when I’d look in Zelda’s bedroom and see her bed littered with stuffed animals. I would tease Zelda about the “man” ( a stuffed Batman) with whom she shared her bed. 

Zelda was mother to these children for nine years until she unexpectedly died in December 2022. The children were devastated, and understandably so. It was the second time they had lost a mother. Since Zelda’s passing, we have moved forward with a new caretaker for them. They are no longer children but now Cecilia is a young adult at age 22, and Madalena and Antonio are teenagers, ages 15 and 13. 

It has been a very hard road to recover from losing someone as special as Zelda. Recently when we were taking apart the bunkbeds that Madalena slept in, I saw on the slats of the bunk above her that she had written Zelda’s name over and over. My heart broke for her. This why when Madalena asked me if she could take a cake baking and decorating course to honor Zelda, I could not say anything but “YES!” Zelda had taken a course a few years ago. She was really progressing in her talents and was selling her cakes to many people. Madalena wanted to follow in her footsteps. 


Madalena faithfully attended the courses that were held in the city every Saturday for three months, accompanied by her ever-protective older sister, Cecilia. Madalena passed her final baking test and received her certificate. She has begun baking cakes to sell, and we are walking alongside her helping her learn how to manage her money. 


Recently, I brought Madalena together with my neighbor,  Khumbu, who also bakes and sells cakes. She agreed to give Madalena some decorating advice. 


I shared a post about Madalena's lesson with Khumbu on Facebook that was seen by a wonderfully kind supporter of our foundation. Kelli lives in Vermont and also bakes. She sells her items to bakeries and gives the profits to our Sunshine Approach Foundation. When she saw the post, she decided to help Madalena out and sent a donation for her to get the supplies she needed to grow her business. She sent it along with the most beautiful letter to Madalena. 

Dear Madalena, 

I understand that you are continuing an endeavor from someone who you deeply cared for. Baking is so fun. It's such a joy to use your skills to show your love. Love is the key ingredient in baking. Isn't it so fun to see someone eating and enjoying what you've made for them. I am so privileged to be able to send some money for you to buy supplies for your baking. If you were near me, you can bet that we would share the techniques and recipes that we like to use. I understand that you took a class. How fun. I have not taken any classes. 

I would love to see the things that you do. If I can relay one piece of wisdom, it would be this....it doesn't have to be perfect...people you bake for will feel the love you've put into it, before they notice anything you may not think is perfect. 

Love in Jesus, 
Kelli 

Madalena thought long and hard about how to use Kelli’s donation, but in the end, the choice was easy. The oven in her house is broken. When she bakes her cakes, she must go bake at another house, so she decided to buy an oven! She also had money to buy a scale for weighing ingredients and a few other baking utensils. 


Today we tested out her oven by making banana bread. The oven worked great, and the banana bread came out golden brown and delicious. Next up, I am going to teach her to make cupcakes and brownies.


Let me end with the thank you note that Madalena wrote to send to Kelli. I think it sums up how someone can impact another person, half a world away, and whom they most likely will never meet. 

Good evening, 

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to help me so that I can achieve my goals and my dreams. I am very happy when I make cakes because I remember someone so special who marked my life despite everything, a mother incredible, a wonderful mother. Every time I make a cake, I remember her huge, contagious smile. I just wanted to thank you for everything good. As you said, if you had the opportunity, we would exchange experiences together. Above all, God is with us. How wonderful God is! He has a huge plan for me. I leave everything in His hands, and loving Jesus. Thank you very much for the opportunity to make my dreams come true as God is good and very good. 

With love, 
Madalena 

Who knows what will happen next in Madalena's journey to honor Zelda? Maybe Kelli will come and teach Madalena herself one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment