We desire to bring sunshine to Africa....opportunities to allow people to realize their destinies and be released from oppression. We are starting in Mozambique with The Sunshine Nut Company. The majority of proceeds from this company will go to the poorest of farming communities and the neediest of children. Mozambique is ranked among the poorest in economic status but we believe they are among the richest in spirit. Join us in our adventure....

Wednesday, October 2, 2024

From the Cashew Fields to the Soccer Fields...Transformation Is Taking Place

I am rejoicing because our teenage boys have been given the most wonderful of opportunities! We have discovered a soccer program located only two blocks away from our Sunshine homes!!! Tindzila is a foundation mostly dedicated to environmental awareness (https://tindzila.org.mz/ and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TindzilaSU), but they also have sports programs for children. The majority of children pay a fee to participate, but they also make the program available to disadvantaged youth (https://www.facebook.com/AcademiaDesportivaTindzila). We are so fortunate to have them close by and that they have accepted our boys into their soccer program for a nominal fee each month. 

We all know that teenage boys need an outlet for all the energy and curiosity they have. Our son, William, takes our seven teen boys every other Saturday to play soccer at a local field. It is the highlight of their week, and they are quite good at playing… but this is not enough. They go to school in the morning and are home by 12 noon. We do not want them out and about in the community, and so their free afternoons when they do not have tutoring are spent with them listlessly roaming around their houses and watching television…not good. With this program, they will practice three times a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday as well as play competitively on some Saturdays. The boys were happy when we shared with them about this opportunity. But… their house moms were elated to know that their boys would have an outlet for their energy and would come home tired and all played out. 

The game they play is futsal. It is soccer on a cement court that is smaller than your typical soccer field. They had their first training session this past week on Monday. Before we even went for the practice, they were coming to me to thank me for this opportunity. 

The excitement level was quite high with anticipation when the time to head to the field arrived. When we got there, younger boys were already on the court practicing. Our boys were taken back to try on their new uniforms. When they came out, I was speechless! My mama’s heart was overwhelmed with joy. I did not even recognize them! They looked so professional, official, and proud. They were so very excited! And I was over-the-moon excited for them!


They hung about a bit watching the other boys play. Then came the time for the coach to invite them to substitute in and play themselves. 


It was a bit humbling for them to play against boys with really good skills, but they were not intimidated and did not back down at all. The team coach is very demanding and pushes them hard. Our boys fought to stay in the game and keep up. I can already see that they are going to really grow and improve. 

All of the players wore the standard orange soccer uniforms of the Tindzila team and some were from previous years. Despite this, it was very easy for me to identify my boys…they were the ones with the huge perma-grims plastered across their faces! 


I fondly remember the days of watching my children play soccer. However, I do not fondly remember the times sitting in the rain and cold at spring and fall practices and games. I was glad to leave that behind. Yet I now find myself again sitting on the sidelines watching a soccer practice as I freeze! We are in the transition of our winter to our summer. Some days may reach to 100 degrees and other days barely make it to the mid-70s. This day was a cloudy, cold, windy day with a high of only 73. I felt miserably cold, but I stuck it out for them. What kid doesn’t want to see his mom on the sidelines supporting him? Next practice, I am going prepared with a blanket! 

As I watched them on the court, I was overwhelmed by God’s goodness. These boys were the throw- aways of society. They had been orphaned, abandoned, abused, and hurt. They were the village thieves, the school drop-outs, and the forgotten. Nothing good would have ever come of them. But God, in His goodness, had a better plan for them and brought them to our Sunshine Approach Foundation. They have been healed and given a chance at life and success. I cannot even put into words what I felt inside seeing them play, smile, laugh, fight, and give their all. 


I always say that I can brag all I want about our children, because it is not me. It is first God. Then it is their mothers who live with them day and night and are raising them. And it is because of you. Our financial and prayer supporters are the base for ALL we are able to do. You are so very precious and appreciated. On behalf of our children, thank you for your support. We value every prayer, donation, and purchase of our Sunshine Nut Co cashews. We thank you for sharing our posts and telling others about our ministry work. All of these things are transforming lives from the cashew fields of Palma and Muchenguentava to the futsal field our boys play on.

No comments:

Post a Comment