We desire to bring sunshine to Africa....opportunities to allow people to realize their destinies and be released from oppression. We are starting in Mozambique with The Sunshine Nut Company. The majority of proceeds from this company will go to the poorest of farming communities and the neediest of children. Mozambique is ranked among the poorest in economic status but we believe they are among the richest in spirit. Join us in our adventure....

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

What $20 Did!!!

 People often make donations and apologize for not being able to give more. This always takes me aback because no donation is too small. If everyone gave a small amount, just think what a large amount the final total would be! Also, our money here goes wwwaaayyy further than your money in the US. And every amount given makes a difference in the life of child here. 

A good example of how great of an impact small donations have is in what we will be facing next month...Back-to-School (Our academic calendar runs from February to November). This means the purchase of scads and scads of uniforms, book bags, shoes, belts, socks, school supplies, and text books. The list is as endless as the number of children for whom we must buy. 

We are happy that all of our Sunshine Children are covered by sponsors who pay their monthly tuition and their uniforms. 

Yet we also buy uniforms, book bags, and school supplies for the children in our Beacons of Light community projects who are starting grade 1. We also provide uniforms and book bags for the neediest of children in our local public schools. When we started doing this back in 2017, it was a rather inexpensive undertaking. Then we could buy a uniform, book bag, AND school supplies for only $20. Now to do the same is about $30-$40 per child. When you multiply this by dozens of children, it really adds up. 

BUT...this is why we do it! (Forgive me for being long-winded. I think I have become "Mozambican" as I now tell every detail to a story!!!)

I recently stopped at a local store in the community where we work to buy a bottle of water on a scorching hot day. As I came out, a woman was sitting in the shade on the side of the building. She was selling fish and asked if I would like to buy some. I don't like fish too much to begin with, but I really don't want to buy fish that is being stored and sold outside on a hot summer day. So I kindly said no thank you, and started to climb in my car.

As I was getting in, she got up and came running after me. So much so that it caused Delcio, who is ever protective of me, to get out and come over to my side of the car! She began telling us about her son and how we made life-changing impact on him. When he was younger, she could not afford the school fees to enroll him in school or buy him the uniform, book bag, and supplies he needed. We provided the fees and needed uniform, book bag, and supplies for him. She said that this got him off to the good start he needed. She kept repeating what a good boy he now is and that he does well in school. We were so encouraged by her. Her appreciation was incredibly enthusiastic and heartfelt!!!

I got home and set to finding this photo. I recognized her and remembered her story. Years ago, she sold bread to our community projects. I could see in my mind the exact photo we took of her and her son. So I began painstakingly going through all of my photos. I have so many photos on my phone that I have even had to increase my space in the "cloud"...BUT...I found it! All the way back on March 7, 2018!!!



This dear little guy would now be 11 years old and in going into grade 7 in high school next year! All because of a donation of $20 that paid for his uniform and book bag. So THANK YOU to all of our donors out there. I always tell you that you are making a difference for a lifetime in the lives of the children we serve...here before you is the proof!



No comments:

Post a Comment